Statue of Ceres or of the type known as “Grande Ercolanense”
Made from island marble with elements added during its restoration in Carrara marble in the Cavaceppi workshop, this statue, in two fragments, was placed in Palazzo Torlonia until (presumably) 1882, the year that it was transferred close to the New Stables and placed on an ancient base.
The figure of Ceres is composed of four fragments that have been reassembled. The statue is headless and badly damaged.
It has been identified as Ceres as she holds two poppy capsules in her left hand, which are traditional attributes of the goddess.
It is a replica of the type called “Grande Ercolanense” (the prototype was found in the Theatre in Herculaneum), which remained popular for a long time and of which many copies were made.
This example, which dates from the Antonine period, reached the Torlonia family from the Cavaceppi workshop, where it had probably undergone restoration.
Masterpieces of the hall
The portico links the two wings of the Palace and dates from the first design by Giuseppe Valadier. It is lined by Tuscan columns made of travertine and is closed off by wide glass doors.
The two rooms on either side of the Portico have no decoration and are used now as the Sale Video and Documentazione.